Friday 15 February 2013

Tonight's Dinner


I made dinner tonight, for me and my gran. I have absolutely no idea what I made, but it was tasty as all get out. We found some local endive at the grocery store and I happened upon a tray of discount fruits (read: slightly bruised yet totally edible) so I tossed this quick meal together.

Endive Salad with Pears and Egg on a Red Wine - Plum Reduction

1 pear
3 small endives
1 thin slice of onion
1 tbs tangy salad dressing (I used Little Creek Dressing, which, if you haven't tried, shame on you)

2 soft boiled eggs (I over-boiled mine, I'll admit it)

2 large plums
2 tbs red wine
1 tbs agave nectar

1. Start the reduction. Dice plums, place in pot with red wine on med-high heat. When it begins to bubble, lower the heat a bit and occasionally stir/use the back of your spoon to mash the plums a bit to help them break down. Add the agave to sweeten it just a bit. When the plums can no longer reduce, sieve the contents of the pot, reserving the delicious liquid that comes out. Do what you like with the plum pulp. Because I have been brainwashed from a young age not to waste things, I just ate it. It was delicious!

2. Reserve 6-8 outside leaves of the endive, for plating. Finely dice the pear, endives, and onion. Mix together in bowl with salad dressing.

3. Plate it however your artistic little heart desires. Below you can see what I did with mine. Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment