Sunday 10 February 2013

Challah Hamburger Buns

Challah Hamburger Buns

You will probably have as much fun making these buns as you will pronouncing them. I know I did. This was, of course, my first attempt at making this bread and I think it turned out really well. The buns were absolutely massive, but they were so soft and light I really didn't care how big they were.



Contrary to my instincts, rather than shape a ball of dough, this recipe suggests that you grab a hunk of dough with your hands and pinch the bottom until the top is smooth. You'll understand what I mean when you actually try it.

Challah:
  • 6 2/5 cups bread flour, or more all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water (around 100°F)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten for brushing
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds ( I used black seeds because they so pretty)
1. Mix 1/4 cup of flour, sugar, yeast and water together. Let sit until yeast is foamy. I always like to use warm water (not too hot!) because I read somewhere that the warmth helps promote growth in the yeast. It can't hurt.

2. Whisk in the honey, oil, eggs, and salt. Add the flour a cup at a time, until it thickens. When it is thick knead it for about five minutes, adding the flour in as you go. I did this in my kitchenaid.

3. When the dough is smooth cover it and store it in a warm place until it doubles in size. Make sure you cover it with plastic wrap and that your bowl is clean.

4. When it has risen (that sounds like it should have ominous piano music playing after it) punch it down, and knead that baby for five more minutes. Divide it in to eight even pieces. Take each piece and turn and pinch it in to shape. Do not roll it in to balls. Place on baking sheet lined with non-stick element of your choosing.

5. Let balls rise again four about and hour and a half, or until doubled in size. You may want to check on them half way through, as mine rose to gargantuan size. When doubled, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 325 F for 40 minutes, or until golden.

tip: when you take them out tap on their bottoms. If they sound hollow, they're done! If not, stick 'em back in. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment