Monday 23 May 2011

A rose by any other name, would be a delicious buttercream rose!

So, I decided to try my hand at the elusive buttercream rose as I had so much buttercream left over from the maple buttercream of a few days ago. It didn't turn out as badly as I thought. I imagined a busted pastry bag and a terrified family cowering in the corner of the kitchen. Instead, I made flowers. I'm going to provide a list of websites and how-to videos that I spent my morning watching. I have never done this before. I literally just watched these videos this morning and then practiced the flowers. This flower here was my 20th and final attempt. You will need:

Rose Tip Wilton 104
Pastry Bag
Flower Nail
Pre-cut Flower Squares

To get the multi-coloured flower I put half white and half coloured buttercream into my pastry bag. Simply separate your icing into however many different colours you want to use and then tint each bowl of icing a different colour. Add your colours down one side of the pastry bag - do NOT pile them one on top of the other or they will only come out in that order and not create the multi-coloured effect.


Here's what I took a look at:
Video 1 - very informative video by a professional. I wouldn't attempt to make your center this high though, unless you really know what you're doing. I stuck to one little mound in the center.
Video 2 - A little lengthy but shows the technique fairly clearly. And shows what you can do without a flower nail.
Video 3 - Awesome finished product!

And also read:
Written Instructions - these actually seemed to help me the most, even though I am absolutely terrible at following directions. I once failed to read the instructions and fully boil my jello before setting it in the fridge, and ended up with a partially-congealed mess that I feared would develop a life of it's own and turn into this:



At any rate, remember to have fun and it does require practice. Those people in the videos are only that good because they don't have lives and this is all they do. Just kidding! That's just the bitterness talking.  Good luck!


A plain pink rose.

1 comment:

  1. This is unreal. I think these photos are 'shopped. I can tell by the pixels.

    ReplyDelete