Sunday 22 May 2011

Oma's Po-tay-to salad

It's finally warming up here in Saskatoon (yes, several months behind schedule of course) which means it's barbecue season! Big Tom fired up the grill and I made my Oma's delectable potato salad. I find most people manage to totally fuck up their potato salad somehow. It should be really, very simple. A dab of this, a dollop of that, shake some salt and pepper over that bitch and chow down. Here's what I did:

10 yukon gold potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces and boiled
2 pickles, diced
2 hard boiled eggs
8-10 chives (which I was able to snag fresh out of the garden)
6 tbsp mayonnaise or miracle whip
1 tbsp mustard
salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil the eggs and the potatoes.
2. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl. Chop the eggs (obviously when they're cool enough to handle) and add to the potatoes.
3. Add in mayonnaise and mustard. The measurements I have there are approximations. I find that the yukon gold potato has a rich and delicate flavour if you don't swamp it with condiments. If you add too much it will just mask the flavour instead. So do it to taste.
4. Here I take a fork and mash the potatoes a bit with the mayo and mustard - I find this enables you to get away with adding very little mayo and gives a nice texture to the salad. I'd say you want about 3/4 whole potatoes and 1/4 mushy potatoes.
5. Toss in your pickles and chives.
6. Add salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.  
7. Refrigerate about 30 minutes before serving. I find that the longer it sits the more flavorful it gets.


Certainly far more delicious and less bizarre than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment