|A beautiful marriage.|
So, it was up to me to make brunch for the fam this Sunday. I moved back home last month and we usually get together about once a week for a warm meal together, my mum, her partner and my g'ma. Now that I'm older I really, really appreciate these afternoons together, especially because I'm usually in charge of cooking. I get along with my family AND I get to clog their arteries with all the butter they can handle? Hot dog! (love you mum).
So, because I had to make brunch this morning I decided the best thing to do last night would be to go out dancing and have as many "Burt Reynolds" shots as I could. Has anyone ever heard of this monstrosity? It's rum and butter ripple schnapps and it is designed to make you think you're having a tasty treat when you're actually consuming liquified evil. I awoke, under slept and bleary-eyed, recalling, once again, why I never drink.
What to do, oh what to do? Well, make some Jack Daniels caesars and carry on with your day, is the obvious answer. The JD eventually made it's way in to everything else, and the day was saved! May I present to you stuffed brioche french toast with Jack Daniels, with a Jack Daniels caramel.
|No brunch would be complete without a mimosa.|
Stuffed French Toast for 4
1 loaf of brioche, or your favorite bread
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp Jack Daniels
1 brick cream cheese, room temperature
3 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp whipping cream
your favorite fruit compote, but make sure it's not too liquid
1. Place eggs, cream, cinnamon and JD in a shallow pan and beat the hell out of it.
2. beat softened cream cheese, icing sugar, and whipping cream together until light and fluffy.
3. Slice your brioche. I was able to slice my loaf into 12 slices of about medium thickness. Take one piece and put about a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on one side. Take another piece and put your fruity stuff on it. Yes, you are actually making a sandwich with it. Slap 'em together and do this to all your pieces.
4. Heat your skillet at medium-high and spray it down with non-stick cooking spray. **Dredge your sandwiches quickly in the egg mixture that you've got waiting. Don't let them soak in the mix or they will become too soggy. The way I do my french toast is nice and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
5. Cook those suckers like a little grilled cheese sandwich, flipping when golden.
Jack Daniels Caramel
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
6 tbsp butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp Jack Daniels
1. Put sugar into saucepan with heavy bottom. Whisk in water to dissolve. Heat on medium-high heat, swirling often to prevent burning, until sugar turns an amber colour and smells just lightly burnt. If you are using a candy thermometer it should read 350F.
2. Turn off the heat, leave on the element. Add in tablespoons of butter, whisking to fully melt. It will hiss and spit at you, but don't worry, those are just the happy sounds of butter and sugar uniting.
3. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream until properly incorporated. Whisk in JD. Put it on EVERYTHING. You're welcome.
**I had an insane Italian boss years ago, back in high school. We cooked exclusively Italian food, yet one day I came in and he had me learn to make "the perfect french toast" with him. 16 years old, and terrified of him, I just accepted my lesson and moved on. But boy, this is one lesson I'm glad I received. He taught me that you want to put your well-greased frying pan on medium-high to high heat and only allow you egg mixture to coat the outside of the bread without actually saturating it. This allows a nice, cooked, golden outside and a fluffy inside. It's lovely. Try it.