Tuesday 7 June 2011

Tiramisu



Having worked in an Italian restaurant for several years I am very familiar with this dish. At one point I'm sure I could have made it in my sleep. Here's my version:
1 pkg lady fingers
1 container of mascarpone cheese (250 grams)
1 cup strong coffee, cooled. For a coffee-er taste try using espresso powder
1/2 cup of sugar
2 eggs, seperated
coffee liqueur - if you're a total food snob then feel free to use something expensive and genuine. I found some coffee flavoured swill from Mexico collecting dust in the cupboard.
dash o' vanilla extract
cinnamon to taste/preference
nutmeg to taste/preference

1. Beat egg yolks and sugar together until creamy and pale. Add mascarpone cheese and continue to beat until stiff. Add your dash of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and a couple of drizzles of the coffee liqueur. Note: I accidentally grabbed the maple extract and added it before I even knew what was happening. It's like the tazmanian devil takes over my body when I enter the kitchen and I just mentally check out....at any rate, the maple turned out just swell. Didn't taste like a Canadian flavour battle or anything...

2. Beat the egg whites until they reach the soft peak stage. Gently fold into the cheese mixture. I genuinely suck shit at folding so I find it easier to add the egg whites in two additions.




3. Combine the coffee with 2 tbsp of coffee liqueur. Dip the lady fingers in the dish, but relatively quickly so they aren't too saturated and soggy. They soak up liquid relatively quickly and will continue to do so when sitting in the dish in the fridge. Arrange in your chosen dish. In the past I have used dainty little coffee cups and this always turns out really cute and creates an individual sized portion. But that was when I had access to better things. This time I just had a baking pan. Whatever floats your boat. Put it in a fish bowl for all I care. Just make sure the fish are out first.

4. Layer lady fingers soaked in coffee in one layer so they are covering the bottom of the pan, then add a layer of cheese mixture. Continue until complete.



5. Drink the rest of the coffee liqueur and enjoy some badass dessert. Just make sure you refrigerate it for about four hours first. That should give you enough time to finish the liqueur off anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment